It seems that no matter what I do, I have to figure out a way to do it prettier. I needed trays in my studio. So I grabbed some cardboard lids, decopaged them with beautiful Japanese Washi papers, and voila. Functional and beautiful. I love to surround myself with aesthetically pleasing objects. They don't even have to match each other (I'm not a big fan of "sets"), they just have to look pretty.I also love to take old crappy, junky furniture and turn those pieces into funky, functional useful items. I'd rather do that then buy something perfect and new. Straight edges are over rated.

Don't get me wrong. I love beautifully handcrafted furniture. My favorite piece in my house is the bookcase my Dad made for me. It's beautiful, unmarked, straight and gorgeous. Also, handcrafted! It's a work of art.
For Christmas this year, he made me a jewelry box that is so wonderous it makes my heart leap just looking at it. It is now filled with my jeweled creations and I'm a happy girl. As a joke, I told him I was gonna paint it. He laughed, but I detected just a tiny note of fear...
My point is, my life, my home and my world are not filled with perfection. They are what I make them out of the materials supplied. Infused in my crazy mix are some order and straight lines that are provided for me by the people who love me. Without these things, chaos might well reign supreme.



Hi Vicki! Found you through Lorelei's blog comments. I love everything in this post - beautiful job on the decoupaged lids, and I love the jewelry box your Dad made. Lucky daughter! Perfect for your cheerful jewelry. And your cat is absolutely beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWe can all relate to messy studios, so don't ever be embarrassed - it's part of the creative process.